Thursday, May 29, 2008

The popping of a virtual cherry

As the title of this posting should indicate to anyone who has stumbled upon it, I have never blogged before. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the process. But here I am, starting up a blog, despite my somewhat unformulated qualms.

Nor, I hasten to assure everyone who might someday happen across this blog, do I think that my title for this first post is particularly original. In fact, the very fact that many people have probably made this kind of comment about their first blog attempt seemed to make it a logical candidate for first entry title. I'm blending into the blogosphere (a sphere of which I have never partaken, even as a casual viewer, let alone as an active participant).

I think that this blog will probably address my day-to-day life, but not (please, God, don't let it become) in the manner of how bad the traffic was on my way to work; who most recently slept with whom; and whether or not the shirt that I just found on the sale rack at the Gap will still look cute next winter, or if I should pawn it in return for sexual favors now while some other dube might still be duped into thinking that it has some sort of lasting fashion value.

What I'm really hoping to accomplish with this blog is to compile thoughts, ideas, observations about the world and interactions between disciplines as I see them - not necessarily as they actually are, but as I perceive them, and thus how they currently affect my life. Also, to write down my remembrances of growing up and college - there are just so many good ones, and I might as well record them now while I remember them.

So I might talk about fashion (usually pejoratively) one day. And politics (often speculatively) the next day. And travel (always longingly) the day after that. But I think - knowing full well that predictions have a habit moving slightly off their pre-laid track and meandering off in directions that the prophet never intended or foresaw - that the common thread throughout most of my postings will be music. My music of the day, of the week, of the month.

At this point in my life, music is the ongoing thread through everything I do. Educating myself and steeping myself in music are what I have worked at for my entire collegiate career, not to mention my grade school years. Lately I've been having doubts as to whether or not I want to be a performer. And that, ultimately, is what this blog is about. Life, yes, and the interactions in life, but also how I want to personally interact with life, and in what medium I want to say what I have to say to the world (as though that's not a pretentious enough statement - but hey, at least I'm honest). All of those interactions - how politics and international business and finance and fashion and aesthetics and cultural norms and social trends play off of and feed and inhibit one another - end up effecting the music world. And so really I want this blog to organize my thoughts so that slowly, slowly, I can start to determine more and more clearly where my priorities are in life, and whether or not this dream that I had of being a performer one day is still the dream that I want to pursue. On the way there I will undoubtedly ramble, and my thoughts will, without question, become distracted on their way to my final ideological destination (whatever that might be), but I'm OK with that. After all, it's my blog. So I can do what I want! But for anyone who happens across this experiment, welcome to the ramblings of a third culture kid. I hope you enjoy.